The new Northern Hemisphere Influenza vaccine is now available at IMC. It is a 4 strain vaccine that complies with the World Health Organisation (WHO) recommendations.
In the light of the current health situation with COVID-19, we suggest patients consider the flu immunization for themselves and their family. It is beneficial as it decreases the likelihood of the individual from contracting both flu and COVID-19 at the same time (please note it does NOT protect the individual from COVID-19), which could then take a significant toll on one’s immune system and increase the likelihood of other complications.
It is especially important for the following groups to receive the vaccine as they are more vulnerable to complications of influenza:
- Persons aged 65 years or older
- Children aged 6 months to under 5 years
- Women at all stages of pregnancy
- Adults and children who have chronic diseases including asthma, diabetes and other chronic diseases of the heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, brain or blood or have a compromised immune system
- Children and adolescents aged 6 months to 18 years who are receiving long-term aspirin therapy